Re: [TowerTalk] New N6LF Ground Probe Designs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New N6LF Ground Probe Designs
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 15:09:56 -0800
On 3/2/2024 1:56 PM, Dave Curtis wrote:
N6BT has done work to show that the field strength and vertical pattern of
vertical antennas is strongly dependent on ground slope.

73, Jim K9YC

Jim, do you have a pointer to Tom’s work? I’d like to see what he found.

I heard him present it a couple of times at Pacificon in the Antenna Forum.

The executive summary: Testing a vertical dipole on a mesa in AZ, measuring with a drone, he found field strength in the far field below 0 degrees elevation when the antenna was very near a drop-off (that is, the edge of the mesa). When the antenna was near drop-offs in different directions, he worked DX in the direction of the drop-off, but not near the center of the mesa.

73, Jim K9YC