Re: [TowerTalk] SELF-SUPPORTING TOWER NEEDED IN THE MIDWEST

To: "[TowerTalk]" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SELF-SUPPORTING TOWER NEEDED IN THE MIDWEST
From: JVarney <jvarn359@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:40:59 -0800
John KK9A
>> How many ham tower installations are falling distance
>> plus away from the property line?  Many commercial
>> towers are not either.

Not just towers. Utility poles, street lights, billboards,
3-story townhomes on zero lot line... all within the
neighbor's fall zone.

For whatever reason some local agencies have a double
standard that discriminates against ham towers. Assuming
both the street light and the tower are engineered to
the same standard, then the risk of falling is the same.
But somehow the street light or power pole is deemed
an acceptable risk but the ham tower is not.

Fall zone is handled in TIA-222-H. Towers in an open
area that won't fall on occupied structures, have fenced
access control, are in Risk Category I and designed for
a 300-year wind gust. Towers that have occupied
structures or property lines within the fall zone are
Category II and are designed for a 700-year event.

73 Jim K6OK