Re: [TowerTalk] Open-wire transmission line

To: K1XX <k1xx@k1xx.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Open-wire transmission line
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 08:01:59 -0800
1.  If you make the wires unequal diameters, then instead of
having just Zo, you have two modes, even and odd, which have
different characteristic impedances.  This comes up all the
time when designing directional couplers.  Is that what you
are doing?

2.  If not, what are you doing where you need unequal
diameters?  I wouldn't really call that situation
"open wire line" any more.  For one thing, it will radiate
a lot of RF.

73
Rick N6RK