Re: [TowerTalk] copper tank coils

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] copper tank coils
From: "Jim Lux" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 15:26:59 -0400

Tank coils and inductors are very different from antenna losses - In the
former, you typically have larger current - A Q of 10 implies that there is 10
times as much power circulating in the LC as there is flowing “through”.   And
there’s not much other loss, so the inductor loss dominates.

In an antenna, you have the radiation resistance (72 ohms for a resonant
dipole) plus the loss resistance (a few ohms), so  the total power being lost
is smaller - 10% if it were 7 ohms, which is huge.  And it’s spread out over
many feet, so you don’t see it warming.
Where antenna resistance can really bite you is when you have a “physically
small” antenna (magnetic loop, anyone?) and the radiation resistance is small
(because of small physical size) so the loss resistance is big compared to
Rrad, so you can get big percentage losses.