Re: [TowerTalk] Make Your Own Sacrificial Anodes and Other Options for P

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Make Your Own Sacrificial Anodes and Other Options for Protecting Tower Guy Anchors
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 22:16:58 -0400
If the anchors were buried or touching the soil, perhaps a magnesium anode
like this would help?
https://tinyurl.com/2msx5kpv

John KK9A

Rob Frohne KL7NA wrote:
Hi All,

I am wondering about cathodic protection, because I just had to pour a
lot more concrete to replace the dirt on top of my concrete blocks for
my guy anchors as they had rusted away more than I like.  It was
expensive and a lot of work.  I hope now that now the anchors are not
buried I won't have the problem again, but I'm also investigating other
methods to try to insure it doesn't happen again.

Options I have found:

1) Use an active system that puts a current from a power supply into the
system all the time (It is called ICCP.)

2) Sacrificial anode

3) Electrical isolation (what I have now with concrete to the surface,
but the experts say tiny voids in the insulation could render it
possibly worse than nothing at all, because that is where all the
corrosion occurs)

I have found companies selling these methods, but not a lot on how to do
it yourself, and the prices are a lot higher than I like.  Does anyone
have a good method of homebrewing your own, or a cheaper way to get what
I want?

73,

Rob

KL7NA