Re: [TowerTalk] Connector needed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Connector needed
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 11:50:40 -0700
On 7/27/23 11:25 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 7/27/2023 11:12 AM, Joseph DeVincentis via TowerTalk wrote:
There is panel mount XLR.

Sure -- I worked in pro audio, so am quite familiar with XLR. They come in configurations from three to six contacts, plus the shell. The only quality mfrs are Switchcraft (US) and Neutrik (EU). The three-contact series is the standard for balanced mic and line level; other configurations are for specialty applications, and only made by Switchcraft.

Neutrik makes 4 pin (used for 12-24 V camera batteries) and 5 pin (used for lighting control via DMX-512). And 6 pin according to the Mouser catalog - I have no idea what they're used for.  The pins are getting pretty small by then.

25 years ago, we used to buy Neutrik at Electronic City (now closed) in Burbank over Switchcraft.  They just seemed easier to solder and better mechanically.

They are modular -- shells can accept inserts with different number of pins, easy to solder to and assemble, sufficiently robust mechanically for use with portable cables in demanding field applications.

I made the mistake of using them for SteppIR control wiring on the tower. Train wreck!

Yes, definitely not water resistant.  LEMO is popular in a similar "inline" form factor (they used to have them immersed in a fish tank at trade shows). I think there are other (Fischer?) They are significantly more expensive. ($50 vs $5 kind of "significantly") and are in the "finely machined swiss product" category - meaning, don't drop them in the mud.  The XLR you can blow out with compressed air or even some water, and it will mate.