Re: [TowerTalk] 6-meter Cushcraft beam and RigExpert AA-55 zoom

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6-meter Cushcraft beam and RigExpert AA-55 zoom
From: "James Wolf" <jbwolf@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 12:49:14 -0400
Pete,

I suspect that your measurement technique is the problem and not the AA-55.
I've been through this not too long ago with an old Telrex gamma-fed 5 ele 6
meter antenna.  It seems that no matter what I did, I could not get the dip
and the SWR close to where they should be when measuring it on the ground.
The best I did was sitting the reflector on a 5 gal bucket with the antenna
pointing it straight up.  But that didn't give good results.  I was about 25
ft. away from the tower and simply turning it on the boom axis changed the
SWR and freq.  I ended up putting it 4 ft. above a TH6DXX and it was exactly
what the book said it should be - same coax.

Jim - KR9U

>>I am refurbishing on old Cushcraft 6M beam, which uses a gamma match with
plastic tubing of some sort as the dielectric in the matching capacitor.? I
am getting some quite anomalous readings with my AA-55, with the antenna
about 6 feet above ground.? I know that such results may be quantitatively
off, but wonder if the meter should be otherwise reliable.? Is the AA-55 to
be trusted at 50 MHz?