Re: [TowerTalk] inserting tuned coax length to help match vertical anten

To: "'Jamie WW3S'" <ww3s@zoominternet.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] inserting tuned coax length to help match vertical antenna
From: <k1ttt.dave@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 12:09:35 -0400
Yes, you can probably insert some coax to create a better match, but it may
not be 1/4 or 1/2 wavelengths.  First of all, is there a triplexer that
splits the 3 bands onto individual feedlines?  If not you may need a
switching arrangement to add in a matching section only when using 6m.  if
you can't isolate 6m from the higher bands it will be much harder to match
properly without degrading the other bands.  to design a coax match you must
first measure the impedance at the point where you will be inserting the
matching line.  If you are lucky the impedance will be something like
50+/-jR, in that case or ones where the real part is near 50 ohms you just
need to calculate a feedline length to cancel out the reactance.  If the
real part isn't near 50 ohms then you can add a series line of either 50 or
75 ohms to get it near enough to 50 ohms to allow use of a simple reactive
stub to cancel it out.  I use an old smith chart calculator from rfdude.com
that lets you add series and parallel feedline sections to see how they
change the impedance.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net