Re: [TowerTalk] Steel mast paint preparation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Steel mast paint preparation
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 10:58:00 -0400
Is the tubing painted black or is it pickled and oiled?

A mast can get pretty scrapped up when installing it and painting the inside
can be challenging.

You could look for another galvanizer, all of the ones that I have used have
kettles much longer than 20 feet.

GL
John KK9A

Steve Walter WA3A

I have a new 1026 DOM tube that is not galvanized.  The local galvanizer
cant handle a 20' 2" tube so Im going to paint it.  The tube is clean but
it's painted black with white spec lettering on it.  Im debating between
cold galvanizing paint and RustOleum Pro primer and paint.  I expect that
either option should be applied to bare steel and not the black coating.  I
havent tried stripping it yet...any opinions on chemical stripper vs
abrasives or if I could leave the black paint, skip the primer and put the
RustOleum over it?

73, Steve WA3A