Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Resistor Source- Thank You!

To: Gary K9GS <k9gs@gjschwartz.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Resistor Source- Thank You!
From: VE6WZ Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 23:05:06 -0600 (MDT)
Hi Gary,

The data sheets for these GDTs provide some info about expected life.
For example, the light duty GDTs that I gave the link for says that they are
designed for 300 impulse operations at 100A, but only one operation at 10,000A.
Data sheet here:
https://www.mouser.ca/datasheet/2/54/2057-66485.pdf

There are other, more robust GDTs, some of which I have used that have even
higher dissipation values.  It is worth reviewing the data sheets on various
units to find one best suited to your needs.  Perhaps in lighting prone
Florida, a more robust device is called for.
I have not had any failures here, and do see lightning frequently during our
summer months with convective thunderstorms from daytime heating.

Steve, Ve6wz.

Sent from my iPad