Re: [TowerTalk] How To Remove Tarnish off Bare Copper Wires

To: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How To Remove Tarnish off Bare Copper Wires
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 13:56:05 -0800
I am hoping for some home "remedy" or simple mixture that does not involve some complex chemicals or procedures that can be applied on, brushed then rinsed off. TU 73

I use a clean small stainless steel parts cleaning brush, like this:

https://ramweldingsupply.com/p/anchor-brand-hand-tied-stainless-steel-bristle-brush/

Which I buy from Harbor Freight. Most hardware stores carry them, as well. I work the brush with the strands, and push down into them as best I can.

I scrub the strands wet, using rubbing alcohol, at 70, or 90%, whatever I have on-hand, then blow it dry. If there's a lot of crud, or it doesn't look like the alcohol is clearing the debris from the strands enough, I use electrical contact cleaner, and blast out the area I'm working on, sometimes blasting, while scrubbing with the brush:

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/qd-174-electronic-cleaner-11-wt-oz.html

I pick up the cleaner from WalMart. Last I checked, it was just under $5 a can last summer. Auto parts stores want 15-20 bucks for the same stuff.

I then solder with typical 60/40 and rosin flux.

About a decade ago, I swapped over from stranded copper, to stainless steel. No problems yet.

Kurt