Re: [TowerTalk] t type antenna

To: john@kk9a.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] t type antenna
From: Richard Karlquist <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 14:17:46 -0800
I once constructed an emergency 160 meter vertical out of a 60 foot mast
made of aluminum irrigation pipe along with a top hat consisting of two
120 foot "umbrella wires" that I cut to length to make resonance at
1830.  I guess you could call that a "240 foot" top hat.  It of course
had a very low drive impedance that I matched with a shunt capacitor.
It worked pretty well over the limited bandwidth that was possible,
because I had it over a very effective ground screen.  This sort of
thing also has a 2nd harmonic resonance in the 80 meter band, but it is
"voltage driven" meaning the drive impedance is 1000's of ohms.  I have
also put that kind of antenna on the air on 80 meters using some
breadslicer air variables.  Nothing mysterious about these antennas.

---
Rick Karlquist
N6RK