Re: [TowerTalk] Xm 240

To: "kj6y (null)" <kj6y@aol.com>, BRUCE FORD <ks9u@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Xm 240
From: Dave Thompson <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 16:16:09 +0000
I agree with Skip.  Use a decent SWR bridge and look at the SWR.  I suspect you
will find the correct SWR.  Sure the coax could be bad but if its new from a
dealer that should not be the case.  I have a high powered AM station 3 miles
south of me and during  the day and this messes up readings on my 259B.
I have an older Cushcraft 2 el 40 meter beam which I rebuilt in 2017 with parts
from MFJ version of Cushcraft.  The rep there said they have parts for all of
the beams they sell.  I did find the T2X clamps were too light and used the old
heavy clamps. after cleaning them up.

My rebuilt beam works as it should with 1.2 swr at 7150 (mid band setting) and
SWR is 2.1 at 7005 and 1.8 at 7298.  I worked China on 40 SSB during the CQ WPX
DX contests when many stateside stations were calling.  He was working many
West Coast stations and I was the only W4 to work him at that time.  Took 3
calls to do the trick.  I worked Nauru Island during the Oceania DX SSB in 2021
and running 100 watts he told me I dad a big signal and loudest W4 he worked
all day,

73 Dave K4JRB