Re: [TowerTalk] Radial Ends Buried???

To: "'Steve Dyer W1SRD'" <w1srd@yahoo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radial Ends Buried???
From: "John Langdon" <jlangdon1@austin.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 14:45:19 -0600
The underlying elephant in the room, borne out buy all the tables in the
article, is that the conductivity of the soil is much more important than
the dimensions of the radials. If you have really poor soil you could mount
the vertical on a copper disc with a radius of 1/4 or 1/4 wavelength and it
still wouldn't radiate as effectively as one with a few radials over
excellent soil. Elevated radials work because they "protect" the antenna
from the lossy ground.

The only reason I can think to put ground rods at the end of radials is to
spread out a lightning strike over a greater area in rocky soil, or perhaps
to make sure they don't roll up and come in contact with a mower.

73 John N5CQ