Re: [TowerTalk] solid THHN vs jacketed copperweld

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] solid THHN vs jacketed copperweld
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 10:24:23 -0700
On 9/20/2022 10:10 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
The dielectric loading of insulation makes the wire electrically longer for RF.  EZNEC can model it, if you know the dielectric constant (usually around 3 for PVC, nylon) and thickness.

The height of the dipole has a larger effect.  Plus for 160 & 80 quality copperweld is needed with thick copper, so the internal field (skin depth) is in the copper, not in the steel which will cause high losses.

EZNEC can also model the effect of height if you know what your soil is like. It correctly predicted a good match to 75 ohm coax for an antenna at about 40 ft over lousy soil for a CQP setup we did, and it comes pretty close to measurements (~ 85 ohms) for my very high dipoles over lousy soil.

73, Jim K9YC