Re: [TowerTalk] Increasing Tubing Size

To: richard@karlquist.com,Towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Increasing Tubing Size
From: <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 16:33:33 -0600
Rick,

It's VERY difficult to expand the AL tubing we use for our antennas.
I "had" to expand a 6" section of ~2" AL tubing...long story there.  I
ended up using
the Harbor Freight hydraulic hole puncher and rigged that to the manual
muffler pipe expander.  IIRC, there were instructions on the
web...Google.
I had 9 pieces of tubing to expand at their ends and it took 3 of the
manual expanders to
get the job done, that and a lot of grease applied to the expander's
"slides"
and the inside of the tubing.  Those little parts of the expander are
cast
iron and they are very brittle...prone to breaking.  If you need to
expand just
one AL tube one could probably get by with just 2 of the expanders, using
one as a spare.

73,
Charlie, N0TT