[TowerTalk] Looking for recommendations for an 80 M DX antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Looking for recommendations for an 80 M DX antenna
From: Don Solberg <dsolberg8132@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 11:43:29 -0600
My QTH is in northern Wisconsin, in the middle of a pine forest, with all
sand soil.  My current 80M antenna is an inverted V up about 50 ft in a
pine tree.  This works very well for local nets but obviously is not the
right antenna for DX.

I also have a 72ft crank up US Tower, which is supporting a homebrew 40M
rotatable dipole and an M2 LEO pack for satellite operation.

My goal is to be able to get DXCC on 80 meters, using CW and FT8.  I can
run up to 1KW.

I understand that a vertical is probably my best choice but when I model a
vertical with my soil conditions, putting an inverted vee up 72 ft on the
tower appears to be almost as good for DX and much better overall.

If I do a vertical,  can I run a parallel vertical wire alongside the
tower?  How will this interact with the tower?  I don't know if it would
work to shunt feed this type of crank up tower?

I have plenty of room for radials in the forest but I can't do anything to
improve the soil conditions in the far field.

I would welcome any recommendations and experiences.

73,

Don K9AQ