Re: [TowerTalk] Maybe OT

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Maybe OT
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 07:50:26 -0700
On 10/26/21 7:21 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
I still have an original official CD of Visio 2000, for example.
It installs and runs perfectly under Windows 10.  So you may
be pleasantly surprised how long EZNEC lasts.  Be sure to archive
both your original setup.exe file and the final update 6.0.34,
so that you can install it on future machines.

Rick N6RK

I run plenty of old software on Windows - As long as it doesn't depend on specific hardware or device drivers it works pretty well (and EZNEC does't) - the programs that will have trouble are ones that "touch" the hardware - Serial ports and, most particularly, USB dongles that provide serial ports, are going to be a problem. Parallel port programs.

One area you might have trouble with (don't know about EZNEC) is graphics - if your program uses DirectX, for instance.

I did a test just now with an old set of .exe from the Antenna Book.  AAT (1997) did not run, because incompatible with 64 bit (maybe there's a trick to it)

HFTA (2003) didn't run - it needs some component (TeeChart.ocx)

However, some of these things might be because I need to run setup.exe again. (that is, I have the installed version from when I ran it years ago, and I may not have copied all the stuff in system or system32..