Re: [TowerTalk] Weird lightning hit

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Weird lightning hit
From: <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 12:33:56 -0400
I have had 5 hits on or near the station in the past 15 years here.

One hit my 80ft tower at the 15ft level - blowing a 10M beam up.  Missing
the rest of it above.  Go figure.

One hit the top of my 70ft 160M T Top vertical (a 14 AWG wire) less than 200
from an 80 ft tower.

Three others hit the ground close enough to the towers and feedlines to zap
things in the shack.

Not one has hit either of my 80ft towers at the top of the tower.

Interestingly, if the power is off, and everything is unplugged, I have very
little damage to the equipment with those nearby ground strikes.

Ed  N1UR