Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline Newbie

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline Newbie
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 08:56:01 -0400
The "Cell Reach" Commscope line of smoothwall hardline is not made anymore, but except for one characteristic was the best cable available for outdoor and especially direct burial use because there is no way for water to migrate in the cable.

The bad characteristic is that it's stiff as a board, especially the 1-5/8" variety. However despite the stiffness, it can nevertheless be bent at reasonably short radius turns, not far off of corrugated cable specs.

Connector installation requires a coring tool. The cable is simply cut flush, and the dielectric is cored out a half inch or so (the coring tool will stop at the right coring depth).

As I recall the tool does a nice job of cleaning the solid center conductor and the inside of the outer conductor, but make sure that's the case before installing the connector.

-73, Steve K8LX