Re: [TowerTalk] Routing Cables from New Tower & Lightning Protection

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Routing Cables from New Tower & Lightning Protection
From: Artek Manuals <Manuals@ArtekManuals.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 06:20:57 -0400
Jim

What would you recommend for routing bonding points if the shack is 75' from the power panel and the tower is another 50' farther  from the shack (i.e. 125' from the power panel). Bonding to home's ground system, if I follow the proposed trail below I would have to run the cables 125' from the tower to the home ground point at the panel and then 75' back to shack? Should I drive a 2nd ground near the shack and tie that  back to home ground and then run the radio cabling through that 2nd  ground point as outlined below?

Of the 11 houses I have owned over the years two of them were basically configured as such.My current set up here in Florida the lightning capital of the world is even more convoluted from this perspective with the shack in a stand alone building 100' from the house ( and main power panel)  and and the tower another 35' beyond that.

Not to get into too much detail in the end I have three 10' ground rods at the tower and two more 10' rods at the shack cable entry. The previous owners who built the house did not install a separate power panel in the out building but rather ran four separate lines (underground ) to the outbuilding (3-120V and 1-240V) from the main panel. Lately I have been looking at this with a jaundiced eye and considering that I likely would be better served to have a single 240V line to the out building and a separate power panel installed at the outbuilding then connect all the outbuilding power to that panel. Not sure why they weren't required to do that to begin with ...but Florida is known for a lot of fly by the seat of your pants contractors...since there is a lot of boom building.

All that said I still disconnect the antenna feed,  the rotor cable and the Stepp-IR control cable and go hide in the house when it starts to spark outside ...8^). I have lots of personal stories to support that !!!

Dave
NR1DX