Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical question

To: Ignacy Misztal <no9e@arrl.net>, Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>, "tower and HF Antenna Construction Topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical question
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 19:13:39 -0700

On 3/15/2021 12:00 PM, Ignacy Misztal wrote:
My feeling is that modeling with verticals is less than perfect or perhaps
the interpretation of results from modeling is imperfect.

In 160m contests we hear signals that are poor, OK and spectacular. In
cases I know, those OK have 30 radials and those spectacular have 100
radials. While the maximum angle radiation may be affected by < 1 db,
perhaps low angle radiation may be affected by 10db or more.

Radials have no impact on the elevation pattern.  They merely affect
the field intensity the same at all angles.  Low angle radiation
depends on the ground conductivity.  You can't fix poor ground
conductivity with radials.

Rick N6RK

Ignacy NO9E