Re: [TowerTalk] Weird RFI at remote location

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Weird RFI at remote location
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 19:03:24 -0800
On 1/1/2021 6:07 PM, Lux, Jim wrote:
You might get one of those $50 spectrum analyzers - seeing the RFI spectrum may give you some clues  - a loop antenna (untuned) will have distinct nulls. It's more "field compatible" than going around with your rig's panadapter.

While I don't know the hardware Jim is suggesting, a spectrum analyzer that can provide both amplitude and waterfall is EXTREMELY useful in diagnosing RF noise. See my website and also NK7Z's.

On my website, it's http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf in text form and these slides. http://k9yc.com/KillingRXNoiseVisalia.pdf The old ARRL book by Marv Loftness is particularly good in understanding noise that originates in the power system, but nowadays, most noise is electronic noise, NOT power line noise.

73, Jim K9YC