[TowerTalk] Igniting Cadweld Powder

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Igniting Cadweld Powder
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 11:40:26 -0700

The grounding of a tower often involves the use of several welds using Cadweld or similar copper/aluminum thermite.  One of the associated problems is that the Cadweld powder can be tricky to ignite since the reaction of the aluminum powder and the copper oxide is a reduction process, and most means of getting something really hot (propane torch, match, etc) are basically oxidation reactions.  That's why flint-based igniters or the electronic one used in some of Cadweld's One-Shot systems are employed instead.

The latest ARRL Contest Update shows a couple of hams using magnesium flakes and a campfire starter to fire off some One-Shots (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2REAd6YD6w) for which they elected to not buy the ridiculously expensive Cadweld electronic igniter, but there is a far simpler way to do it.  A 4th of July sparkler works really well.  You can start the sparkler with a match or cigarette lighter, and the sparkler will easily (and more safely) fire off the Cadweld powder.

A secondary advantage of using a sparkler is that it will fire off Cadweld powder even if you don't have the finer starter material that Cadweld supplies with each shot.  The molds I typically use (#4 wire to a 1/2 inch ground rod) require 65 grams of powder, and by keeping an eye on eBay I can usually find 200 gram canisters selling for very little money.  Splitting them into thirds gives me what I need ... often for less than $1.00 per shot ... but I lose the finer starting powder when I do that and the sparkler will still fire it off.

By the way, it is also possible to make your own Cadweld graphite mold.  See http://www.ab7e.com/exothermic/AB7E_Homebrew_Exothermic_Mold.html

73,
Dave   AB7E

p.s.  I also once tried making my own Cadweld powder.  The formulation is simple ... just aluminum powder and copper oxide.  I figured up the right ratio by weight, bought some material off eBay, and mixed it up in a rock tumbler.   The problem was that the material I used was lab grade and VERY fine particles, and when I fired it off it flashed like the stuff photographers used in the 1800's ... lots of light and the copper seemed to just evaporate.  I assume that such fine material is what Cadweld uses for starter powder, and that the bulk of the material is much more coarse to slow down the reaction.