Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for a light coaxial

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for a light coaxial
From: Artek Manuals <Manuals@ArtekManuals.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 20:50:06 -0400
Jorge

Think about it from a slightly different perspective. I assume you have a "Rope Boom" stretched between two trees. Rather than have the coax hang down from the driven element have it go back along the rope boom to the same tree that supports one end of the rope boom then have it drop down along the tree. this way I suspect you will support much less coax weight and the tree will do more of the work so to speak. Then your are safe with RG213.

I built a similar antenna years ago when I lived out west with some 100 ft pine trees. I also added a coil at the center of both� the parasitic elements with a relays that shorted out the coil allowing one parasitic element to be a director (short out the coil)� and the other to be the reflector ( un-shorted coil ) . that way I could instantly reverse4 directions 180 degrees

That being said I have used RG8X for years on the 80 and 160 at full power with no noticeable heating. At higher frequencies however I am back to RG213. Think of it this way, heating to some degree is a function of wire loss and dielectric loss. Both wire and dielectric losses decrease slightly as you go down in frequency thus you can use RG8X at lower frequencies with more power than you can on 10 meters.

Dave
NR1DX