Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Rope

To: "'William Osborne'" <wosborne44@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Rope
From: "Steve Jones" <n6sj@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 10:35:14 -0700
Bill,
I'd bet if you used unbreakable SS wire, you'd end up snapping an insulator or
a tree branch.  I used #12 Copperweld for my full sized 80M dipole about 30
years ago.  I tied off one end to one tree, and placed a pulley and
counterweight at the other tree (both 130' Douglas firs).  My open wire
feedline has broken off twice in 30 years due to metal fatigue from the
constant flexing in the breeze at the center conductor.  But the dipole wire
and ropes/pulley have withstood 90mph gusts here in the Santa Cruz Mountains
and never failed.  Once I watched as the counterweight rose and fell a good 15
feet in a big gust.  I really should replace those ropes that hold up each end
and the pulley, once the fires clear up here.  I used 5/16" polyester rope from
HRO.  It's now covered with moss.

73,
Steve
N6SJ