Re: [TowerTalk] How to Clip on with a Fall Arrest Lanyard

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to Clip on with a Fall Arrest Lanyard
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 13:35:02 -0700
I think you are correct, clipped on either way the weld is the ultimate structural stop. If one weld gets broken then the next one (Z bracing) is certainly going to hold. Note there is one Z per horizontal section that stops at its end, so if clipped to it, there is no second welded diagonal.

The OSHA spec for fall arrest is to limit the max G load to 1800 lbs. 5/16" diameter R25 bracing has a yield tension around 3500#, probably not enough of a safety factor for all the ways the load might be applied, condition, etc.

The ultimate redundancy and unambiguous connection is around a leg.

Grant KZ1W