Re: [TowerTalk] Engineering closer-in guys

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Engineering closer-in guys
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2020 21:44:23 -0700
On 9/2/2020 6:52 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
I had a Rohn 55 tower that was built in 1971 as 150’ high with 4 levels of
guys and anchors 120’ from the base. Some ten years later they put two more
sections on, making it 170’, and added a 5th guy level (and borrowed the
4th level’s spot on the guy anchor plate for it)

I've seen that tower -- it was about 3 miles from me, and my impression of it was that it was well engineered given the conditions. Matthew designed and built a VERY innovative wide coverage repeater system -- moderately innovative in concept, but extremely innovative as to how he repurposed equipment of moderate cost to implement it. Check out WB6ECE.org I never remember Matthew's call, but he's a VERY impressive guy who has given back a LOT to the community. Last I heard he had leadership responsibility for Alexa engineering.

73, Jim K9YC