Re: [TowerTalk] Verticals above chain Link fence

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Verticals above chain Link fence
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 13:47:51 -0700
On 10/2/2019 1:09 PM, David Gilbert wrote:
I've never been much of an advocate for just putting something up and trying to qualitatively decide if it works well enough.  It's a sloppy approach and subject to all sorts of variables we can't easily quantify.  But that changes significantly if there is a reference antenna to compare to that's far enough away to not complicate matters with mutual interaction, for at least you have some indication of relative performance.  In this case, that's probably exactly what I would do.

I agree, sort of. But it also helps to do a bit of studying. Here's a study I did several years ago that should shed some light. I certainly learned useful stuff from doing the work. The most important takeaway is that HF verticals work better if they are not ground-mounted. Raising the vertical reduces ground losses, improves the vertical pattern by lowering the angle of maximum field strength.

http://k9yc.com/VerticalHeight.pdf

Two VERY important observations. First, use a serious common mode choke at the feedpoint. See http://k9yc.com/2018Cookbook.pdf

There are two general types of HF verticals -- 1) those that use radials are essentially a "ground plane," with various tuning mechanisms to resonate them to a quarter wave on each band, and 2) those that do not use radials, with various tuning mechanisms that resonates them as a center fed vertical half wave dipole on each band.

Type 1 verticals CAN be electrically connected to a fence, tower, or other conductive support, with only "good" modifications to their performance to the extent that they have decent radial systems. Modeling shows that two elevated radials per band that are slightly shorter than a quarter should work pretty well.

When a Type 2 vertical is electrically connected to a fence, tower, or other conductive support, GROUNDED OR NOT, that conductive support becomes part of the bottom half of the antenna and changes both the feedpoint impedance and the vertical pattern.

The applications note about vertical antennas goes into detail about the different antenna types and identifies popular models by type.

73, Jim K9YC