Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 18:12:14 -0700
On 9/3/19 4:57 PM, Dick's wrote:
Julio-

I was more concerned with routing the conductors from each leg of the tower to the
first ring of ground rods. I used 2” wide copper ribbons with a slow arc down
to each rod. From each of the 3 rods I then branched out the required distance to
other rods using stranded 2 awg copper and cad-welding them at each rod.

There's no particular electrical advantage to ribbon over suitable round conductors, if that's more convenient. Some find that clamping the ribbon to the round tower leg is easier with a flat ribbon (using something like a hose clamp), but they make clamps for pipe to round conductor as well.

You could probably also use a standard crimp on eye lug with a hole sized to match your tower bolts to your round conductor.

By the way, AWG 2 (or larger) is more for mechanical strength than electrical properties. The dominant factor driving the voltage rise is the inductance, and inductance doesn't change much with diameter or shape of conductor. (AC resistance does.. so if you're using your lightning ground as a RF ground for top band or something like that.. then you care)

I wrote a monthly newsletter column. If you start with the Sept 2017 issue you
can see the write up on welding and ground rods at
http://n4lnr.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/LARC-9-2017C.pdf.  You can go
forward or backwards to see the entire tower installation spanning more than a
year.

Dick, K0CAT

Sent from my iPhone

Richard (Dick) Blumenstein