Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt fed resonance changing.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt fed resonance changing.
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 13:46:57 -0800
On 12/3/2018 12:26 PM, James Wolf wrote:
My problem is that the resonance on 160 meters changes about 50 kHz.  This
usually seems to happen when using amplifier power.

How are you determining resonance?  Do you mean minimum SWR? How are you measuring it? Are you using the same SWR indicator for low and high power levels? Or the rig when running barefoot and the amp when it's in use?

How are you feeding the tower?  Through fixed capacitors?  Many high voltage capacitors have high temperature coefficients, and many HV caps have significant loss.  If you're using fixed caps anywhere in the RF path, I suggest that you TX at power for a while, then feel them and see how warm they are.

Capacitors have a characteristic called Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR), which represents the loss in their dielectric at radio frequencies. Caps used in the signal path need low ESR; many HV caps are used simply for bypassing and don't carry much RF current. Caps made for this purpose often have high ESR, but they're a lot cheaper.

do around the bottom of the tower, or the feed point to create the resonance
change.  However, I can at times move guy wires and see the resonance
change.

Guy wires that can move can make the tower unsafe -- they work by putting triangulated tension at the tower guy points!  Are your guy wires broken up with egg insulators to minimize interaction with your antenna(s)?  Could banging on guy wires be causing a flaky mechanical connection to go intermittent?

73, Jim K9YC