Re: [TowerTalk] Big Rak and HDX-555

To: Kent Olsen <kilo6dko@gmail.com>, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Big Rak and HDX-555
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 12:12:26 -0700

On 8/26/2018 8:14 AM, Kent Olsen wrote:
Phil

I considered the BigRak for my HDX572. My concerns were it would not fit
completely inside the tower like you. My biggest concern was tilting the
tower over to work on the antenna. With the top section not completely
nested you are putting a lot of strain on the smallest section of the tower

It's not just the top section that is not completely nested.  ALL of
the sections are not completely nested.  My HDX5106 has to be extended
to over 50 feet to get the rotor mounting plate above the second to top
section.  To work on my rotor, I have to retract the tower, tilt it
down onto saw horses, then extend it out horizontally.  There is no
way I could tilt down the tower while substantially in the extended
condition during the tilting, AFAIK.  BTW, I use a so-called "small"
prop pitch that just barely fits into a "5" section.  Whenever I have to
remove it (which is very seldom) I have to remind myself that there
must be a way to get it out, since I got in there in the first place.

73
Rick N6RK