Re: [TowerTalk] UHF (PL259) Connector Supplier

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] UHF (PL259) Connector Supplier
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 11:25:50 -0700
I would add the following

Marine grade 213 has the advantage over other 213 of a tinned braid which helps with soldering. I have some 20 years old that loss tests show good as new. But it is still RG8 losses with the solid dielectric.

Davis Buryflex and DXengineering 400MAX (just installed 500') are my favorites (except hardline) for lower loss. I don't like the LMR or 9913 jackets. Now replacing 9913 installed when Buryflex was out of stock. With the heat sinking of the foil layer, it is hard , but possible to solder the braid to PL with a 250 watt Weller gun. Forget about it outside. For foil plus braid over foam, crimping is better IMO for the shield and I agree soldering for the center conductor to eliminate one moisture path and to preserve the pin geometry.

I like to adhesive filled heat shrink seal the cable jacket to PL shank. Heating the PL with the heat gun prior to sliding on the HS insures the adhesive bonds. However, some crimp PL's have a very short shank for the heat shrink.

I try to avoid SO239's on anything outside as have never found a good way to make the PL-SO connection really watertight and few SO's on commercial gear are sealed well enough on the flange anyway. For entry to J-boxes, chokes, baluns, etc. my preference is watertight glands the right diameter for the coax. All beam chokes have the feedpoint choke done this way to avoid any use of connectors out on booms where they can't be accessed without a lot of work. If PL-SO connections are required, eg lightning arresters, they are inside an enclosure.

All connector to connector outside joints use the commercially proven Commscope/Heliax tape/butyl/tape sealing technique. My commercial tower guy then sprays 2 or 3 coats of outdoor clear acrylic over the outer tape layer. There are about 8 PL-barrel-PL uses from a $15 kit. I only use Amphenol barrels after bad experiences with others.

The suppliers mentioned all seem to have quality PL's. For me, all hardline uses DIN's where possible.

And I've proved that poorly crimped connections up 100' get to be the worlds most expensive connectors. Also verified it is important to keep connectors free of residual cable bending forces and wind or rotator induced motions.

Grant KZ1W