Re: [TowerTalk] Putting up wire antennas with a drone?

To: "Wes Attaway (N5WA)" <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>, jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, towertalk@contesting.com, "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Putting up wire antennas with a drone?
From: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 12:52:32 -0700 (PDT)
Once upon a time in Keizer, Oregon I tried using a sling shot. Don't remember
how many times I shot that d**m thing but either I almost took my eye out or
the neighbors window. Never got higher than about 40' up a 105-110' fir tree.
I was launching from the neighbors porch. Gave up on that method and glad I
did. Sling shots can be dangerous. The Max's brothers or the Three Stooges
could have got a lot of inspiration watching me use that sling shot.

Then I tried my 75# bow and fishing arrows. More precise control where things
are going but limited on height. Caught one up on a 90 foot branch and snapped
the line. Didn't tell my neighbors but every day I would check on it.
Eventionally it came down on the roof a their lean to next to the property line
and I used a fiberglass quad poll to retrieve it. Neighbors never knew there
was a weighted arrow over their heads.

A smaller air cannon that used 2 oz. fishing weights could get scary. My
property and both neighbors on each side were about 110' X 103' so there wasn't
a lot of room for errors. A 2 ounce weight coming down on somebody could be a
real bad day for all. Still got the thing but don't do anything with it. And as
usual wind is the enemy along with branches.

Eventionally I spent about $250-300 and bought a good tennis ball launching air
cannon that I have used quiet a few times. Biggest problem is the wind. Doesn't
take much to send the woven 30-40 pound fishing line off course and miss the
top of a fir tree. Even a big fir tree, yes! It uses tennis balls with wires
through them in a loop and some fishing weights inside. Most are 4 ounce but a
couple went up to 6 ounces. It easily went over the105-110' fir tree in Keizer
and now the 90' fir and oak trees out here south of Salem. When I first moved
here I got real busy putting 3/16" black dacron lines over some of the trees.
My 160 meter inv-L goes over an oak tree about 75' up and just starts to come
down on the other side with a loop of the dacron line forming a loop. The air
cannon has a limit of 85 pounds on the pressure gauge and that is usually what
I get near using a bicycle pump. I'm sold on this setup and I can certainly
control it better than any other method I tried for tall trees. Lately I've
been thinking about a couple of fir trees in the 150' plus range that might
give a challenge to my cannon.

Years back for field day the Umpqua Valley Amateur Radio Club operated from one
of the big county fair grounds buildings. My friend Steve, WB7OTR used a
weighted sock to toss a line over one of the wooden rafters about 40' up and we
strung the coax out the roof to an antenna. We did get into a lot of the
portable amplifier systems. Don't think the fair committees ever invited the
club back again! But tossing the sock over a 40' high rafter was something I
could never have done. Steve did it in one try. Go Figure, he had been in the
coast guard.

Terry

KI7M