[TowerTalk] antenna modeling in the cloud

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] antenna modeling in the cloud
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 10:49:53 -0700
I'm looking for collaborators (or even just suggestions on how to approach it) to look at doing antenna modeling using cloud resources (like Amazon Lambda).

Amazon will give you 400,000 Gigabyte-seconds of compute per month for free.

The cores are faster than the ones I'm running here, but as an example, a model of crossed dipoles on a structure that I ran recently has 800 segments, and I ran 150 frequency points, with two excitation points, and produced a single plane pattern cut of 180 points (every 2 degrees). It was 170 seconds and was well under a gigabyte of memory consumption

So, for a free allocation, I could have run that model a couple thousand times a month.

This is interesting because often times we'd like to run a systematic variation on a complex model of multiple antennas. For instance, earlier this week I was modeling the interaction of two 20m yagis - those runs are around 1-2 seconds. If you run every 5 degrees of skew, that's 72 runs. Start looking at changing the relative heights or spacings, and you can get into the thousands of runs pretty easily.

Or - examining the effect of the soil properties changing (using SommerfieldNorton ground) - systematically covering a range of parameters can add up a lot of runs pretty quick.

I'm interested in this to speed up the "time to get results" - and for some applications, I'd be happy to spend a few bucks - so I'm not as concerned about the "run it for free" aspect.

Amazon charges 0.00001667 per GB-second after you bust the "free" limit. So, in round numbers, I think that will work out to about 60,000 NEC runs per dollar. And, since you can spin up an almost unlimited number of instances at once - you could get your answer back from a 10,000 iteration study in a few minutes.