Re: [TowerTalk] Planning for the next move...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Planning for the next move...
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 09:33:13 -0700
Each state in the USA has different regulations on the different agencies that can be created between parties.  In Colorado, There is a Exclusive listing contact where the listing agent owes all allegiance (fiduciary duty) to the seller of the home, there are some caveats that where all material defects must be disclosed. The Buyers agent owes all allegiance to their buyer.  Then we get in to what is called a transaction broker or facilitator.  These agreements state that the real estate agent will act to get the deal done but with a very limited scope of what they will do for either side.    At any rate I am sure that many states require the agent to provide written disclosures on what each of these agencies encompass.  Read them!

If you are at all unsure you should always seek the opinion of a Real Estate Attorney.  Real Estate agents are very limited in the what they can do and what they should say.  We are allowed to practice real estate law in a very very limited fashion. Outside of what we are allowed to by law, it has to be handled by an attorney.

A Realtor is a real estate agent that has joined the National Association of Realtors.  Not all agents are Realtors, especially in the commercial side and being a Realtor does not make them any better than a non Realtor.  In the past you had to be a Realtor to participate in the multi list programs to list and view houses. That has changed over the years.

Agents commissions are negotiated between the agents. Buyers/Transaction agents are not always paid by the sellers agent but that is how it normally works.   The listing agent pays the buyers agents from his/her commission.  Buyers agents and transaction agents have no allegiance to the Home owner/seller.

Each State will be different so do your research.  Ask lots of questions and if in doubt get an attorney.

W0MU