Re: [TowerTalk] Tuning raised radial verticals

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tuning raised radial verticals
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 15:19:01 -0700
I was motivated by Jim's post to dig deeper into measuring my 160m T antenna performance. A number of questions herein for experts willing to dig thru this.

My 160m T has 8 elevated radials and I measured the currents, they vary about 3:1. That seems significant. Given the "make radial currents equal" advice, what performance am I losing with unequal currents? How do I tweak my EZNEC Pro4 model to generate unequal radial currents without introducing loss? Then, if there is more than a db or 2 azimuth asymmetry from the 8x 120' radials how would I equalize the current in them?

The T is PE insulated Davis CCS 13.5ga. All 8 radials are elevated 10' using #12.5 aluminum electric fence wire and are 120'+/- 4' long. Pretty much a sweet spot in the N6LF analysis. It is fed with a 50:25ohm TLT UNUN. Plus 3 high stack of 240-31 cores with 8 tight turns of RG142 (>4k ohms). Buried 100' RG8 feedline in conduit. Measured resonant at the amp thru the feedline and TLT at 1807KHz 1.07:1 swr, Sept 2017 at the end of a very dry summer, <0.5" of rain in 3 months. In wet ground conditions I recall the resonance being closer to 1825KHz, but modeling shows that is not likely over a +/-5x variation of ground conductivity from "average". Perhaps some other summer to winter change in the antenna or foliage nearby. Winter water table is at/above grade. The T top wire runs SE-NW.

The measurements were with an MFJ-854 clamp on RF Current meter (got to curse the ferrite clamp design first, then found a big instrument error see below)
My ProIII says 25w output, the amp (2K-FA) says 16w.

Measured current and what each radial goes near/into:

East  0.068a  into woods
SE    0.075a into woods
S  0.035a into woods
SW 0.100a goes within 22' of a metal building corner, about a 45d angle to the building, then over lawn W 0.115a goes within 10' of a metal building corner, then lawn at about a 15d angle parallel to the building, and ends 1' short of a 89' tower (actual 116' long) NW 0.120a goes within 50' of a metal building corner, then lawn, and ends 30' short of a 140' tower it is tied to
N 0.060a into woods
NE 0.090a into woods

Sum of radial currents is 0.66a. Vertical current after meter calibration 0.65a . Measured coax current ~0.002a (the MFJ ferrite won't fit over RG8, so I measured on the RG142), and barely moves the needle on the 30ma MFJ scale. Currents measured at 1860KHz. SWR at 1860 measured 1.09 to 1.16:1 depending on the day, thru the series capacitor tuning. Note 4 different scales are used on the MFJ, so that introduces error and the meter is tiny so guesstimates abound.

The initial as measured currents sum of radial vs vertical was different by 0.13a. This led to a calibration of the MFJ which discovered the 1a scale used for the vertical current measurement was reading high by 20%. The 100ma and 300ma scales were within 5% except below 30% of full scale, which I think is error from the sense diode forward drop. However, each antenna measurement was very repeatable, even standing on an 8' aluminum ladder. The calibration setup used 6, 10, 20db attenuators, a 50w Bird slug, 100w dummy load, and IC706MkII. In the test setup the MFJ was insensitive to the location of the split center conductor within the sense ferrite. (btw some component values in the MFJ schematic don't make sense to me).

If I ignore N & S radial currents and compare sum of E vs sum of W than the imbalance is 0.233a E vs 0.335a W, maybe that is significant. OTOH, prior modeling of the 160 T with the other 3 towers (89', 89', 142') all to the west of the T and at guesstimate electrical lengths (actual height plus top loading) yields a couple of db more gain to the east, without the metal building in the model. So the towers may be acting a bit as a reflector. When I put the antenna up, I added radials over time and noticed the largest change in resonant SWR with the one to the W. None of the radials run parallel to buried conductors.

I agree that for 2 to 4 radials equal currents are desirable, unless an azimuth gain skew is desired as with a CrankIR "on the beach". Somewhat related is AC6LA's sample modeling with 8 equal radials shows minimal differences in azimuth gain (0.1db) due to the coupling to the T top wire for a T similar to mine.
https://ac6la.com/aecollection3.html

It also seems to me that there is a number of radials at which the concept of radial resonance makes little sense. It is like asking "what is the radial resonance of a large sheet of perfect conductor or for seawater under a vertical". And then as is seems likely in my case the metal structure couplings (towers, building) are the reason the nearby radial current is high, how would changing the resonant frequency affect the current? Or would it be better (rhetorical question) to remove high current radials to force more "equality" (the radials are pretty much equal angular spacing as installed)? Or add more radials where the currents are low?

To force asymmetric current distribution over the ground, it is easy to remove radials in my model (AGT=1.01), so I did that. With three adjacent ones removed, the imbalance at 26 deg elevation (peak gain) is 1db in azimuth. Using 5 asymmetric radials as a proxy for radial current imbalance, it seems that the affects are small.

Lot's of questions when a model meets a measured real world situation! Am I missing something?

Grant KZ1W