Re: [TowerTalk] Removing Tower Paint From Galvanized Tower Sections

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Adam WJ4X" <wj4xham@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Removing Tower Paint From Galvanized Tower Sections
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 12:48:33 -0400
Many years ago when I was getting ready to put up my 100’ and 130’ of Rohn 45,
I used paint gloves and lots of dark gray outdoor latex.  First you scrape off
any rust and lightly sand over it and wipe away any debris and loose “stuff”.
Make sure that it is clean and dry before painting it.  This will ensure that
the paint has the best chance of adhering properly and drying evenly – which
will ensure that it stays on that much longer.

I went through at least 3 pairs of paint gloves.  It is quite labor intensive
and they get really soaked and worn down.   So make sure that you have spares
on hand.  Also, make sure that you have some dry wood 4” x 4” or similar
material to hold the tower sections off the ground while they dry.  Likewise
make sure that you do the painting in an area where you don’t care what it
looks like when the paint drips off.  Use crappy clothes and sneakers that you
don’t care about because the dripping paint will get them guaranteed, even in
places you didn’t think possible.

I know that this last part seems obvious but you would be amazed at just how
surprised people are by their messiness especially when they get tired and
start paying less attention to all the wet and dripping paint around them as
well as on the ground that they forget about and then step on!   :-)

I used an extra long sleeved shirt over a long sleeved shirt and it was a good
thing because the inner shirt still got some paint on it.

It was very long and hard work to do all 23 sections, but it was well worth it.
 I would do it again without hesitation.

GL!

73

Bob KQ2M