[TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing expansion, a little warning

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing expansion, a little warning
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 10:27:44 -0500
 Yes, the expansion for most resins is far larger than for most metals. The
warning is that you usually place the resin inside a metal housing of some sort
(as you don't want to rely on the tensile strength of the resin, only
compression). The result is that, when you heat the assembly, the hole diameter
will shrink because the resin will expand more that the surrounding metal
housing.

This is more of academic interest as the elasticity of the resin will allow the
shaft to rotate even if you have a tight fit.

Hans - N2JFS