[TowerTalk] Tower Safety and Deaths

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Safety and Deaths
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 22:38:18 -0700
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 08:52:30 -0600
From: "Doug Renwick" <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
To: "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>

Couple of interesting reads:

The building of the CN tower in Toronto without proper worker fall
protection resulted in zero fall deaths.

http://wirelessestimator.com/articles/2016/tower-workers-compensated-for-hei
ghts-and-dangers-while-building-the-cn-tower/

No conclusions.

http://wirelessestimator.com/articles/2016/state-by-state-industry-deaths-an
alysis-provides-a-linch-pin-for-continuing-dialogue/

Doug

## Those  116  ‘fatality incidents’ are not the total number of deaths.
Multiple fatalities at one site is treated as one incident.  Total deaths is
actually
a heck of a lot more than that.  And all were preventable.

##  iron workers are on a different planet.   I saw a load  of em working on a
new
building downtown years ago, that was constructed of steel girders and I beams
etc,
instead of the usual concrete and rebar format.   Here they were, walking along
I beams,
with no safety gear on..except a hard hat.   My dad who was born in 1913,  told
me stories
when I was a kid, of iron workers who froze up  while out on a I /H beam.
The  boss
would smack their fingers  with a  rubber hammer  to snap em out of it.   He
also told me that
a  lot of  algonquin native indians  were iron workers.   They seemed to have a
knack  for the
job.   I see all these old pix  of guys sitting on a beam.....eating their
lunch.

##  the part I never figured out was  how high did the winds  get up to ??
One would think the
winds would be howling when up 200-1000 feet.   Esp in places like Chicago and
NYC... or
anywhere near the water.   Winds and gusts  would freak me out on a job like
that....never mind
if it started  pouring rain.

Jim   VE7RF