Re: [TowerTalk] Please critique my plan for installing this tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Please critique my plan for installing this tower
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 11:23:42 -0400
A couple of quick comments.

Is all that work on restoring a 20 year old crank up tower actually worth
it?

Having experienced a total of 6 lightning strikes over 10 years with 2 - 85
foot tall structures, I can tell that only 1 of the 6 hit the top mast of
the tower (approximately 4 ft above the highest yagi to hold the trusses).
The other 5 either hit the ground in the nearby vicinity or in one case hit
my 10M yagi at the 30 ft level (go figure).

My personal opinion is that a lightning rod on the top of a tower is
useless.

Ed  N1UR