Re: [TowerTalk] aluminum mast vs. tramming

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] aluminum mast vs. tramming
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 10:03:02 -0400
It depends on the tram, the mast, the tower, the tension on the tram line and back guy, and how much vertical load it adds to the tower. Tramming can cause a considerable increase in the vertical load. In this case calculate the total load on the 25G tower base. Tower weight with all installed hardware and total down pressure from the guy lines at proper tension. Then add the increased down pressure from the tram lines under proper tension. Then add the total weight of the new antenna. Hopefully the total will be well less than the maximum vertical load for the tower.

It depends on the tram and how it hangs (mine is a two wheel version withe 4" wheels with the primary weight of the tram below the tram line.) To me, the tram allows the entire antenna to be easily moved into position "sideways". Just fasten the mast clamp. Simply throw a light line over each end of the antenna with a man on each to keep it level. A well balanced antenna might not need this on a calm day, but a random light breeze makes it worth while.

If the Al mast (2" .25 Wall) is a tough alloy it should hold the tram well. A back guy to the mast at the tram line would be a good idea, more for the tower than the mast Just try to stay within a few feet of the tower top albeit, high enough for the antenna to clear the tower but not get the elements in conflict with the higher antennas. BTW the back guy reduces the side load on the mast making it less likely to bend

BTW, that mast should be far stronger than a tower leg. The legs by themselves are no where near the tower strength which gets most of its strength from all the parts working in concert. Keep the tensions balanced.

I use 6061T6. 2 X 0.25. I purchased about a dozen stock lengths (24'), over 10 years ago at one of the local metal supply places (Alro), mostly 2" with the quarter inch wall along with some 1.5" and maybe 1.75". Wall thickness on those? I'd have to check as I've used most of it over the years. There are now better alloys and tempers with some at lesser prices Stock tube isn't as pretty as the polished stuff, but OTOH it's a whale of a lot cheaper. NOTE Alro has a number of outlets around the country. I have no connection with Alro, just a satisfied customer.

73 es good luck,

Roger (K8RI)