Re: [TowerTalk] homebrew 1:1 current balun

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] homebrew 1:1 current balun
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 10:06:19 -0800
On Mon,11/30/2015 3:11 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
On 11/30/15 9:17 AM, Jamie Tolbert wrote:
What tpe beads do I need, 43 or 73? length? 4 ft, 100 beads seems awfully long.....

____________
I use 31 mix for this kind of choke application.

#73 is the ONLY material suitable for use in a "string of beads" choke because it is the only material with a single turn impedance that is predominantly resistive at HF. Unfortunately, the largest #73 beads just barely fit RG58 and other specialty miniature coaxes.

what is your operating frequency?

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/NCDXACoaxChokesPPT.pdf
see pages 22-25
73 is better in general, 43 is ok for low frequencies
31 isn't great for bead baluns..

#43 and #31 are NOT acceptable for "string of beads" HF chokes (that is, a lot of cores on the coax line), because they are inductive at HF. To be effective, the choke must be strongly resistive at the operating frequency. A single turn through these core materials resonates around 150 MHz, far too high to be useful at HF. We can use #31 and #43 material by winding multiple turns through the core(s) to lower the resonance to the part of the HF spectrum where we want to use the choke. Luckily, it's a very low Q resonance (typically around 0.5), so the resonance is quite broad. This allows a choke to cover 3-4 adjacent bands.

My best tutorial on this is k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf It's worth studying. I did the work to learn (and support it) beginning around 2003 and continuing to around 2010. It is, I believe, the basis of all modern thinking about how common mode ferrite chokes work.

73, Jim K9YC