[TowerTalk] 18MHz - Turning off ARCi Elect breakers

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [TowerTalk] 18MHz - Turning off ARCi Elect breakers
From: W4LDE <w4lde@numail.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 14:02:48 -0500
This may have been discussed before or I maybe asking the wrong reflector, if so "Happy Holidays" and a Great New Year.

If your interested please read.

I had the privilege to operate as W1AW/4 a few days ago and operated 17 meters (18Mhz) o RTTY running anywhere
from 100 to 300 watts depending on band condx on three different days.

After the W1AW period was over I reviewed emails on our Home Owners Email reflector and noticed several new home owners were having breaker issues, tripping without any apparent cause. They were tripping around
the same time as my 2 hour stints on the 17 meter band

I found a reference to this problem on the ARRL web site and yes it looked like what was happening here.

The manufacturer admitted to the 18MHZ RF issue while on visit to the ARRL Lab and stated back in Nov 2013 that a new version would be available. The Lab did confirm in the article that they tested the newer version and gave it a thumbs up "OK", however, the manuf' needed to resubmit for UL approval.

The breakers in question are manuf' by Eaton's division of Cutler-Hammer and are the new 2014 NEC code required ARC interrupt
style located in the distribution home panels.

Anyone else run into this problem and has the issue been solved and how?

I have also sent ARRL a request for more info. Until I can help resolve this issue I'm off 17 meters.

73 de Ron W4LDE

---