Re: [TowerTalk] One more dipole-balun question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] One more dipole-balun question
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 11:32:32 -0700
On 6/3/2013 9:45 AM, David Blake wrote:
are we talking about a G5RV or a Windom or both?

My comments specifically address off-center fed antennas.

As I understand it, the G5RV is a symmetrical antenna, so any imbalance will be due to asymmetry of its surroundings -- trees, buildings, ground slope, the antenna sloping, etc.

I consider antennas like the G5RV a compromise, both because its pattern is different on every band, and because it's not easy to choke it. Many of us must make compromises, and this sort of antenna is one choice for hams with limited space.

One form of choke that would work for 80-10M is one wound with 12 turns of a pair THHN conductors on a #31 core, connected as a series section of transmission line. Like the antenna itself, this choke is a compromise, because its own Zo (around 100 ohms) introduces a small impedance bump, which in turn changes the match a bit. The bump is "small" because the length of the line is short (less than 3 ft) as a fraction of a wavelength, and because the Z of the antenna itself varies wildly with frequency.

This choke is NOT a good choice for an off-center fed antenna at power levels greater than about 100W, for the reasons noted in my earlier post.

73, Jim K9YC