Re: [TowerTalk] 1-5/8 inch Andrew Hardline stored outside in New England

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 1-5/8 inch Andrew Hardline stored outside in New England for 5 years - still good?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 19:36:46 -0700
On 5/29/2013 9:32 AM, William Hein wrote:
I have some 1-5/8 inch Andrew Hardline (LDF7-50A) which has been stored outside
in New England for 5 years - is it still good and if not can it be
rehabilitated?

I'd say it depends on whether water has penetrated it, which in turn depends on whether the ends were weatherproofed before that 5 years began. It also depends, of course, on whether it might have taken lightning hits.

This is a great application for using a VNA (vector network analyzer) to measure loss and do a TDR sweep (Time Delay Reflectrometry) to look for damage. To do TDR, you'll need connectors on at least one end, and to do loss, you'll need connectors on both ends.

If you don't own a VNA, ask around your neighbors -- there's a good chance that someone you know owns one and will volunteer to sweep it for you.

73, Jim K9YC