Re: [TowerTalk] Please Help Me Decide on a Tribander or Monobanders

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Please Help Me Decide on a Tribander or Monobanders
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 13:00:57 -0400

I already had a 5 element M Squared 6 meter beam, so I didn't add the
6 meter DIRECTOR (sorry) to my SteppIR. Whenever I did a comparison
between the two antennas the 5 element monoband beam was noticeably
better than the 3 element SteppIR, as you would expect.

SteppIR's specs show nearly 4dB more gain and more than 20 dB added
F/B with the passive element on six meters. The *current* M2inc 5 element designs claim 1.5 to 2 dB more gain than the "3 element"
SteppIR with passive element so comparing the "3 element" SteppIR
without the passive element to *any* of the 5 element M2 six meter
yagis is really "stacking the deck" <G>!

> Every antenna installation is a compromise.

An absolute truism!

> In my case, with the separate 6 meter antenna, I have an additional
> feedline to deal with, taking an extra position on my antenna
> switch.

Plus load on the mast/tower and installation/construction/maintenance
issues due to the stacked antennas.  In addition, one never knows to
what extent performance of the antennas in a stack are impacted by the
presence of the other antennas.  At least with the SteppIR one can
"home" the elements of the SteppIR to prevent it from impacting a
separate six meter antenna.

Anecdotally however, CX7TT has worked several station off the moon
with a parasitic element equipped 3 element SteppIR.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV