[TowerTalk] Free ARRL Mast calculator

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Free ARRL Mast calculator
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 00:27:00 -0800
Folks have asked me about the  mast calculator that was in the ARRL ant book.
http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=17127    Download the excel
spreadsheet... and it will provide hours of entertainment.

For those who stack 2 or more yagi’s  on the same mast, it’s advised to
alternate
the ants on each side of the mast. IE:  l-r-l-r-l-r etc.   Of course, to pull
that off, the
boom to mast clamps also have to be on the correct side of the boom  to begin
with.

DX eng makes top caps for both masts and booms.  Put one on the top of your 2”
mast,
etc, and then leave the bottom of the mast open to the air.   Then you won’t
get any water
or debris down the inside of the mast.  They are just uv resistant, semi
pliable end  caps.

I don’t use em on any booms, since I have had problems with water ingress into
booms in the past.

later... Jim  VE7RF