Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for a sanity check on a tower install

To: <kip@kdream.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for a sanity check on a tower install
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 15:56:01 -0500
Seems to me the question of where to tie the upper pull ropes depends on the
position of the tower.
If it's alongside the building, you should be good to tie it at the top and
pull. If it's laid out extending away from the building, it becomes a
question of enclosed angle vs. force required to lift.

The tower is going to weigh at least 240 pounds (40lb per section x 6
sections), and the effective weight will increase as the enclosed angle goes
down. Even from directly above the top of the tower, you might find that to
be more than even a few people can pull up.

You might want to pull up the first 50 feet and then attach the last section
from the roof.

As for the ground rod: isn't the lightning just as likely to travel to the
base of the tower, into the butterfly fasteners and then on into the
concrete anyway?

And hasn't it been shown that exploding concrete bases are a myth?
Especially when you consider designs for concrete-encased ground rods?

73, kelly
ve4xt