Re: [TowerTalk] Utility Pull Rope

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Utility Pull Rope
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 09:15:40 -0800
On 11/11/2011 8:10 PM, Michael Tope wrote:
>   I might have occasion to climb this tower in a
> few weeks, so I am thinking might need to replace these ropes with
> something more reliable. Anyone have experience with this sort of rope?

Hi Mike,

You didn't say how tall the tower is. I now have two towers, one Rohn 25
120 ft, guyed at four levels with 1/4-in EHS, and the other 40 ft of
Rohn 35 (not an official number, but the stuff that Rohn made private
labeled for Motorola that's a bit bigger than 25 but smaller than 45).
The bottom section is sitting in 3 ft x 3 ft x 4 ft deep concrete.  It's
holding 3 and 4 element monobanders for 20 and 15, and It is UN-guyed.
Both are in the woods, far from any buildings or paths, so they couldn't
hit anything or anyone if they fell. While building the second one,  my
climber, K6XX, a very experienced and conservative guy,  felt quite
comfortable with it not guyed, and we agreed that if we did guy it, we
would use the black nylon covered rope sold by several ham vendors for
wire antennas.

I agree with others that depending on height, it might not be safe to
climb, but that,. also depending on height and other conditions (like
whether the hardware connecting sections is properly installed and what
is on top of it),  it might be safe to climb while adding temporary guys
as you go. There's another way to look at this too -- if the guy was
dumb enough to use those inappropriate guys, he may have made other
serious mistakes, like un-rated hardware and unsafe connections up on top.

FWIW -- when I needed the sections to build my second tower, a few posts
on ham reflectors found eight sections on the ground within about two
weeks, and at very reasonable cost.

73, Jim K9YC